Key Facts No 7
What are the treatments options?
The prognosis for patients with PAH has improved in recent years,1,3. However, the drug treatments currently available arte only effective and approved to treat PAH, one of the rarest types of PH, with all treatments having significant limitations.4,5.
There is a real need for more research to improve understanding of how all five types of PH can be diagnosed and treated effectively.2,4.
- PuckerUp4PH website http://pukerup4ph.com/about-ph.php Accessed: January 2010.
- Galiė, N et al. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Heart J 2009;30:394-403.
- Galiė, N et al. A Pulmonary Hypertension and pulmonary arterial hypertension: a clarification is needed. EurRespir J 2010 Nov;36(5):986-90
- Girgis, RE. Emerging drugs for pulmonary hypertension. Expert OpinEmerg Drugs 2010;15:71-85.
- Peacock, A. Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension. BMJ 2003;326:835-836