Key Facts No 2
What are the different types of Pulmonary Hypertension?
The five types of PH are:
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- Pulmonary Hypertension owing to left heart disease (PH-LVD)
- Pulmonary hypertension owing to lung disease and/or hypoxemia (PH-COPD or PH-ILD)
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH)
- Pulmonary hypertension with unclear multifactorial mechanisms
Although it is rare, PAH is the only type of PH for which approved medications currently exist.1 Improved, early and accurate diagnosis is needed to provide effective support for those living with the condition.
- Rosenkranz, S. Pulmonary hypertension: current diagnosis and treatment. Clin Res Cardiol 2007;96(8):527-41